WELCOME TO ABJ FOR 2019-2020!
Greetings! The staff of ABJ would like to welcome back all of our returning students, and we are excited to welcome all of our new students joining us for the upcoming school year. ABJ is an amazing school that is focused on connecting students with our Catholic faith, student learning and preparing our students for their future beyond high school!
Grades 11 and 12 – Friday, August 23
Grade 10 – Monday, August 26
Grade 9 – Tuesday, August 27
A – G 8:30 am - 10:15 am
H – M 10:15 am - 12 noon
(Closed at Lunch)
N – R 1:00 pm - 2:30 pm
S – Z 2:30 pm - 4:00 pm
- Returning students should bring their assigned school lock from last year or they will need to purchase a new one for $10.00.
- Students are invited to bring a device to school as part of our “One to One Project”. ABJ recommends that students bring a device that will work best for them and their learning style. The device should be compatible with Google Apps for Education (also known as the Google Suite) – Google Docs, Google Drive, etc. We recommend that the screen is large enough for a student to complete assignments, take notes, and edit work, etc. The amount that a student may use the device will vary depending on the nature of the course and their teacher’s expertise. We do not recommend students to use a smartphone for the “One to One Project”. Please also note that students are expected to follow the One to One User Agreement - https://www.eics.ab.ca/download/100432 .
- Course changes can be made during registration dates and during the first week of school in September. Students will not be able to make course changes after September 6, 2019. Also, please note that students/guardians may not request a course change for teacher preference.
- Grade-level administrators for the upcoming school year will be the following. For students and parents, please note that the administrator assigned to that grade level is your key contact who will assist with any questions or concerns beyond the classroom. (Any concerns students or parents/guardians may have during the school year regarding teaching and learning in the classroom should be addressed with the teacher initially.)
- Grade 9 - Mr. Dumont, Grade 10 – Mr. Lakeman, Grade 11 – Mrs. Thomson and Grade 12 – Mrs. Ruth Bernadas-Tymko
- School fees may be paid at the start of the school year or parents/guardians may also choose a 10 month payment plan (to be done through PowerSchool). For any families who require financial assistance with school fees, Elk Island Catholic Schools does offer a fee waiver program (all necessary forms should be completed no later than October).
With the new fiscal reality we are anticipating within the budget, EICS will no longer be able to provide the free graphing calculator program for the September 2019 school year and families will be required to purchase these items as they have traditionally done.
2018/19 Grade 10 and 11 students who currently have an EICS provided graphing calculator will be given the opportunity to purchase their current calculator for an additional $20 to the deposit that has already been provided. This $120 investment would equal a savings of over $50 versus what is currently being charged in the stores. To use this option, simply email Mrs. Prud'homme, ABJ's Business Manager, at email@example.com and let her know you would like to purchase the rented calculator. This will be added to school fees on PowerSchool.
For any other Grade 10-12 students that need to purchase a TI84+ Graphing Calculator, please see the front office in the fall and you may purchase one for $120. This purchase may be added to PowerSchool school fees upon request.
Students going into Math 10C, Math 20-1/30-1 and Math 20-2/30-2 will require the use of a graphing calculator. Staples is also offering a preferred pricing on the TI-84 if parents are interested. See below for more information.
Staples Sherwood Park
Staples in Sherwood Park is offering some exclusive EICS pricing on TI84+ calculators and One-to-One devices. Please see the attached letters for more information by clicking below.
August 24, 2019 Cheer Camp at ABJ
EICS Summer School Information 2019
All registrations must be completed using the EICS PowerSchool Parent Portal. All fees will be posted there and must be paid prior to June 28, 2019. There will be no changes made to student timetables after June 28, 2019. Registrations will be locked.
EICS Summer School is managed by St. Isidore Catholic Learning Centre. Please call them at 780-449-6463 if you need more information.
ABJ One to One Parent/Student Technology Use Information
EICS announces One to One Technology Initiative Sherwood Park, AB – As part of Elk Island Catholic School Division’s (EICS) priority of creating Quality Learning Environments in all of its classrooms, EICS announced its One to One Technology Initiative beginning in the 2016-17 school year. As part of the initiative, students from Grades 4-12 are invited to bring their own technology for use in their learning experience. EICS is championing this initiative with the ultimate goal of supporting and engaging all students to achieve success in a 21st Century learning environment.
How Parents can Report Student Absences
Student Attendance can be accessed through the APP for mobile devices, phone access, or web site. Please click on the link for more detailed information.
Report your child absent:
If your child is going to be absent, notify the school by:
1. Calling 1-877-246-9970, option #3
2. Using the SchoolMessenger App
3. Using the “SchoolMessenger” link in the EICS App (requires SchoolMessenger App installed on the phone)
4. Using https://go.schoolmessenger.ca/
Follow the ABJ Blog To Have School Info Sent To Your E-Mail
To follow the ABJ Blog, click below. Click 'Follow' and school information will be sent directly to your E-Mail address.
School News View All
EICS School Supplies and Transportation Fees - Changes for September 2019
Posted on Jun 5 2019
As we prepare for another school year at Elk Island Catholic Schools (EICS), there will be a number of changes to our division within the context of the anticipated budget in the Fall of 2019. We want to ensure that our budget is…
EICS Transfer Site at ABJ - Moving to Better Serve our School Community
Posted on May 13 2019
EICS Transportation is pleased to announce that beginning in September of 2019 for the 2019/2020 school year, the ABJ Transfer site will be relocated from Archbishop Jordan Catholic School (ABJ) to the Strathcona County Bethel Bus…